Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Children's Memorial Hospital Visit!
















I was grateful to have the chance to visit Children's Memorial Hospital for the first time along with my good friend Katie F Miss Fox Valley 2011. Children's Memorial is a CMN hospital in Chicago, and thanks to some extremely generous philanthropists, they are preparing to move to a new building next summer, which is definitely exciting news. Their "Heroes for Life" Campaign supports the new hospital, which will be called the Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago to honor the donors.

Katie and I spent the morning in the Brown Family Life Center. I was so impressed with this area of their facility because it feels nothing like a hospital. The room for children is full of natural light and is decorated and filled with toys. The atmosphere is welcoming and cheerful and reminded me of a classroom with its bulletin boards and craft supplies. It is so inviting, and I'm really glad that there is a "Medical Free Zone" in the hospital. Not only do sick and recovering children get to relax and play in this area, it is a wonderful place for siblings, parents, and visitors to have a place of refuge to go to when they need to relax and escape.


There were flyers posted around the hospital to let people know that Katie and I would be visiting. Among the kids there, I had the privilege of spending time with a little girl recovering from surgery who was there with her mom. She had to roll her IV machine with her as she walked in, but she seemed to be in good spirits when she sat down to color. They spoke Spanish, and although it has been several years since my last Spanish class, I was able to communicate with them a little bit with my words...and a lot with a smile. We colored Disney princesses together, took a few photos, and I let her try on my crown, which she was happy about. I'm sure she was surprised to meet a real princess that morning! I also spent time with another young girl whose brother was recovering from a lung operation. She opened up and talked with me about what was going on with her brother and family. Again, I was glad that there was a place for her to go and just be able to play and be a kid.


When these children are in the hospital, their families are impacted so much. Parents and siblings spend hours, and days, and weeks in hospital rooms, waiting and praying for improvement for the health of their children. We need to be supportive of what these hospitals do. I want to thank Jessica and Ellen and the volunteers I met for your dedication to Children's Memorial and giving of your time and energy to be there and help where it is needed. You all make a difference in these kids' lives.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there are people on a wait list to get in to volunteer at Children's Memorial. It's encouraging to know that there are people willing to serve others in that way. For more info, please visit:http://www.childrensmemorial.org/friends/default.aspx?src=tab It is also so important to continue our efforts to fundraise for Children's Miracle Network in order for their organization can continue to flourish and provide for thousands of kids. If you would please donate any amount, it would be so appreciated. Here is the donation link: https://missamericaforkids.org/m.aspx?i=24788EEA3B471B


1 comment:

  1. I was so happy to share that experience with you, Natalie! I hope that you are able to continue with Children's Memorial over the next year and keep up the amazing works that you have been doing for Children's Miracle Network!

    ReplyDelete