Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer with My Princesses





Every year that I have competed in the the Miss Illinois program, I've had the honor of mentoring a princess through the Princess Program. I take this seriously, because these young girls look up to us titleholders so much--we really are role models for them, and I've had such a rewarding time getting to know my princesses and be a part of their lives! They are so fun, and I love spending time with them and staying connected. I'm in contact with all three of my princesses--Hannah, Bella, and Sophia--and we've had a lot of fun this summer.

During Miss IL week, I got to crown my Miss Northern Suburbs princess Sophia during the Princess Luncheon at a beautiful country club on a golf course. We were so excited to see each other, and it was such a sweet moment when we were holding hands in line, waiting for our turn to go up front so that I could crown her. Then, we enjoyed a lunch and had time to talk and open some gifts, as well as visiting with her Mom, Edna, her sister Kiersten, my mom, and my directors who also attended the luncheon. It was a great afternoon together.




We also had the chance to visit the Marion Fire Station with our princesses. We had lunch there, and then the firefighters took us on a tour of their station, which was interesting. The Mayor of Marion was there, so I was able to meet him and let him know that we were glad to be there. Sophia got to climb inside the fire truck and look around at the end of the tour, and we laughed when one of the firefighters tried on a crown and let some of the contestants try on the firefighter gear. When it was time to get back on the bus, Sophia sat on my lap on the ride back to the Marion Civic Center. :)


I had fun watching Sophia during the introductions and dance number on stage during the Outstanding Pre-Teen/Teen pageant on Friday, and then, on Saturday night--the final night of Miss IL--I was absolutely THRILLED to see her walking toward me on stage with a white rose as I heard my name called as one of the Top Ten Finalists!! It was such a special moment. We hugged and waved, and I was just so glad that she got to be a part of that--what a great way to start the final pageant night. I won't forget it. The next morning, I got to see her along with her mom and sister, and that was also a nice time that we enjoyed. I just love her whole family!

Sophia and I spent more time together on the Fourth of July with my Teen and Pre-Teen titleholders, Kalina and Cassidy, and I look forward to getting together sometime soon! She is a sweetheart, and I really love being around her--she has such an adorable smile and a great attitude. Love you, Sophia!

I have enjoyed seeing my princess Hannah at church this summer, and I took her out to get bubble tea at Fusion Brew. We got to talk about the upcoming school year, her interest in cooking, movies, and summer trips, which was a blast. I'll never forget the facebook photo that she tagged me in a couple years ago that said, "You changed my life." I've learned that individuals are always making an impact on those around them, and it is really a beautiful thing when you find out that you really have positively affected someone and actually know about it. Many times, we really don't understand just how much our words and actions matter, but they do, whether we clearly see the results of them or not.

I also got to see my princess Bella when she came to visit me with her mom and brother at Dairy Queen for Miracle Treat Day. She has been having a busy summer with dance and is excited to become a big sister soon! I was so thankful to have time to sit down and catch up with her and her family, and give her a huge hug...actually several of those!


Love you Sophia, Bella, and Hannah! :)

The Princess Program is open to young ladies of ages 5-12, and for more information, the website is: http://www.missillinois.org/princess/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment