Sunday, May 1, 2011

Thoughts on Music and Westminster Village

I believe in the importance and value of the arts, especially music. Music enriches life in innumerable ways--it inspires, has the ability to affect one’s emotions, and has been shown to have therapeutic qualities. Music provides a unique and satisfying way to express oneself and can be full of joy, entertainment, and profound meaning. It has been said that “music transforms language like a ‘wonderful elixir’…Music has the privilege of transcendental immediacy; poetry is transfigured by it.”

In addition, music promotes high levels of thinking, develops important skills including discipline, dedication, patience, time-management, cooperation with others, and “music can also be used to present ideas and build concepts, teach or persuade, entertain, design, plan, beautify, and create (Consortium of National Arts Education Associations [CNAEA], 1994).” It also provides opportunities for collaboration and fellowship with others and is extremely intertwined and connected with culture and society, philosophy and religion. I believe everyone can benefit, learn from, and appreciate music and will be able to do so through increasing their knowledge and experience with it through education and personal initiative.

My goal is to use music to glorify the One who has gifted me with my abilities and to use music to serve others, encouraging them to use their own talents to reach out to others in their own ways. As a pianist for fifteen years, I decided early on that I wanted to bless people by sharing music with them. I treasure the experiences I’ve had with residents at nursing homes, hospital patients, and audience members who have often thanked me with tears in their eyes for sharing my music with them. Performing benefit concerts for CMN has also been an incredible way of tangibly helping others by raising funds and awareness.

I have particularly enjoyed performing at Westminster Village, a local retirement community, for the past ten years. The residents have seen me grow up both physically and musically, so I have a lot of history and special memories there. Jim Davis was the Chair of the Program Committee who first invited me to play, and ever since, I have looked forward to putting together programs for my Westminster friends. It is a very welcoming atmosphere, and I have always enjoyed being able to speak about my pieces and current goals as well. I remember talking about my platform and Miss America aspirations as a little girl, years before I began competing, which was met with a lot of smiles and support. I feel truly blessed to have relationships with these wise people who have offered encouragement and have expressed how much they appreciate my visits.

I have also served as a Coordinator of the Senior Music Ministry at Wheaton College, which includes organizing and performing student-run concerts at Fairview Nursing Home along with my peers from the Conservatory of Music. We all have a unified outlook on performance—it’s not just about playing an instrument; it’s about connecting with individuals and giving of our time and of ourselves to the elderly patients who live there. I have seen how much joy it brings to them when we students come each month to talk with them, perform and lead hymns, and continue to build relationships with them. When I see how excited they are for the next concert, then I can’t wait to go back!

How can YOU reach out to those around you? Feel free to comment...and to take action!



“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent.” ~Victor Hugo

(Work cited: Kramer, Lawrence. Music and Poetry the 19. Century and after. Berkeley, Calif. [u.a.: Univ. of California Pr., 1984. Print.)

No comments:

Post a Comment